We sure do love unhealthy food in the U.S. Eleven ingredients considered unhealthy and dangerous are banned in countries around the world. But not in the U.S. In fact, those ingredients are found in food and drink that Americans consume regularly according to ABC News.
The banned ingredients include:
1. Blue #1 food coloring
2. Blue # 2 food coloring
3. Yellow # 5 food coloring
4. Yellow # 6 food coloring
5. Red #40 food coloring
6. Brominated vegetable oil (found in sodas)
7. Bromated flour (used in baking)
8. Olean (found in potato chips)
9. Preservatives butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT)
10. Growth hormones rBGH and rBST (found in dairy products)
11. Arsenic found in chicken feed
Food manufacturers aren’t necessarily including these ingredients in their products because they want to poison people. The ingredients might be a part of a product’s original formula or the manufacturers just might not know that they are there or that they are harmful, according to Mira Calton, a licensed certified nutritionist and co-author of Rich Food, Poor Food: The Ultimate Grocery Purchasing System.
The Food and Drug Administration assures the public that it is monitoring the safety of these ingredients and the products that contain them with an “extensive, science-based process.”